Search This Blog

Friday, 31 January 2014

I read, you read, he, she it... but what are your reading habits?


Hello there.

There's not much I do these days. With this blizzard and wind, there is not much to do. It's that time in the year when I'd like to be able to press a single button and turn off the rest of the world. At lest, I'd like to be able to leave everyone a sort of a "don't disturb" sign; something like:

Gone reading..
..will be back when I'm done.

Then, I started thinking about my reading habits. Fortunately, there's a list of questions that can easily help me let you know a bit more about myself.

Do you snack while you read? If so, favourite reading snack:

Sometimes I snack.  But, I prefer being done with it as soon as possible; since I fear I'll crumble all over my book (and: the chewing is noisy). For me, it is easier to have a meal away from the book, and get back to reading afeter I'm done, since every noise comes as a disturbance.



What is your favourite drink while reading?
No drinking while reading! What if it spills?! I get up, have my water (tea?) and get back to my book. Sipping while reading might sound comforting to you, but to me it's an accident waiting to happen.



Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
I still fail to understand while people do that?! Books are printed to last, to be passed on in the best possible state; and the last thing I'd want to see is Agatha Christie's book covered with hints. Another thing folks like doing is leaving a "this book is awesome" comments at the end. Or simply write the "she loves him". At the end, that book becomes never-ending list of literary graffiti; the only thing that could be done with that poor thing is to end it's suffering.



How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?
Like above: dog-ears are a way to disrespect your book. Could you imagine the state of the book if everyone marked every single time they stopped while reading?! It'll appear more like a cabbage than a readable object. Since these modern printing of ours does not allow me to even open a book entirely, opening if flat will make it crack in half. Printers nowadays think they can bind any size of a book by glue; and those books will never get to be passed on. I use bookmarks, or any other paper object (currently it's an envelope, it was closest to my reach)



Fiction, non-fiction, or both?
To tell you the truth: I prefer fiction. Non-fiction sounds intrusive to me (especially other people's diaries; the most intimate and personal feelings and writings of a human being). 



Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?
I prefer to read to the end of a chapter or at least a natural break.  I get frustrated when I have to suddenly "break out" from the book. It feels like being forcefully woken from a captivating dream - do you know that feeling? A feeling of spending the following day half-trapped in the dream you were pulled out of (by an alarm - in my case



Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?
No. I do have that feeling, but never have I thrown a book. It's not the book's fault it's author is pushing my buttons. 



If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?
This is a matter of my breeding: since I was a kid, I was told to always stop and ask, and not progress until I have learned and comprehended what I've read. (Then again: my mom was a literature and grammar teacher). So, when I'm reading something that I know I'll need help with, I get help. If it's a book in English, it's a dictionary. I do prefer mine to be a non-digital one. 



What are you currently reading?
Currently I finished "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafron.. I'm still sobering out of it. This is one of those books that are so magnetic and that you willingly give a piece of your self to.
As soon as I'm completely sober (and stop re-living the Barcelona-dream) I'll get on with "The Celesitne Prophesy" by James Redfield. This book was not my preferable book choice, but a colleague of mine has "borrowed" her copy to me and told me she'd like to hear my opinion on the whole "good for you" theme. We'll see.



What is the last book you bought?
The last one? Let me think (I suppose this means: for myself). I've got "Dewey" by Vicki Myron. (In case you're wondering: it's indeed about a cat, and I do love cats)



Are you the type of person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?
I usually have one book, but sometimes I juggle between two.  Especially if one is a short story collection, poetry, or a hardly digestible item that I received with highest regard and "it'll do you good to read this one".

Do you have a favourite time/place to read?
There has always been only one place for me: my desk, by the window. But, I can read anywhere, if the book is good enough to pull me in. A bus? No problem; I shut people off and jump into it. I spent a fine time on my travel to Italy on a bus (some 17 hours) and books helped a lot.



Do you prefer series books or stand-alones?
Series are troublesome to me. Many times, I adore the first book, and then get disappointed by the sequel. Or worse: I realize there are no sequels translated yet. Therefore, I prefer a stand-alone books. Or a series that have no real connection: Maigret series by Georges Simenon are a great example of such series; they all feature the same, brilliant mind of Inspector Maigret; but have no connection between them.



Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?
This is a difficult thing to do, if you really think about it.
I tend to gravitate toward books written with an ironical tone, and when I talk "fantasy" I mention Terry Pratchett. Others prefer their wizards to be genius, magical and lately: handsome. I prefer mine... sloppy. When we move to the topic of detectives, I'd say "Commissaire Maigret" where other will instantly go for the obvious "Poirot".
There's a latin saying I heard a long time ago "De gustibus non est disputandum" - "In matters of taste, there can be no disputes". So, no: I do not recommend books or writers. If someone asks me for a recommendation, I honestly say I'm not able to help.



How do you organize your books? (by genre, title, author's last name, etc.)
Contrary to everything else in my life: I do not organize my books. 
I like them right where they are: everywhere, mixed, placed on the shelves without any reason. There might be a reason: only I can find a specific book on my shelf.



♥♥ Pinky Honey

6 comments:

  1. From one lifelong bookworm to another, I can sincerely say that I adored reading this wonderful post devoted to your own reading habits. I too am not a fan of writing in books (except for dedications at the front or back if giving the book as a gift), and very rarely dog ear the pages (I'll use any old scrap of paper, an elastic band, etc before damaging a book like that). As well, when I used to take the bus (before we got our car), if I was traveling on me own, I almost always had a book with me as well. I'm incredibly shy and introverted, so having a book to focus on really helped make interacting with strangers in closed quarters easier to handle.

    Big hugs, scores of happy Friday wishes & many lovely thanks for your awesomely nice comment on today's post.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes - I love dedications. There's a warm feeling inside of me when I find a used book with a dedication. More so, if it has lyrics and quotes (maybe, one day.. someone will find a book with a dedication written by me; that's why I make sure that my texts are time-proof).
      Being shy - that one I know.
      There are many times when I do not want to engage a conversation with a stranger on a bus.. book, indeed proves to be a best friend at those moments.

      You are most welcome.. and keep those adorable post coming.

      Hug
      Marija

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous post! I've never thought about my reading habits but while reading I couldn't help but reflect on my own habits. My reading comes in periods, I can read book after book one month and the next I don't even open one. Right now I'm in a phase where I haven't touched a book for months. It's really quite sad, but during these periods I just can't focus, don't know really why. But I'm a lot like you in my habits during reading, no eating or drinking while reading that only leaves marks in the book. And I've never understood why you would like to write in books, that's what notebooks are for people! Haha. Maybe I'll borrow this idea and make a post of it myself, if that's okay with you? Thank you so much for the fabulous read, and I wish you a darling Monday!

    Hugs, Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can borrow it. :)
      I too had periods when I couldn't manage books. And then, all of a sudden, I get back into book-crazy mode. It's normal, I think. When my life and work are too intense on me, those are the times I'm too tired (physically, mentally and emotionally) to read.

      Hug
      Marija

      Delete
  3. This is such a fun post!! Would you mind if I did as well?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't mind... as a matter of fact - I can't wait to read about it. :D

      Hug
      Marija

      Delete